Frequently asked questions—Darwin


Bowen Lawyers is a Darwin-based law firm that helps clients with a range of legal matters.

We specialise in family law, conveyancing, domestic violence, financial disputes, mediation, advance personal plans, wills and probates/estates. Below are answers to frequently asked questions about our services.

Is it necessary to go to court to resolve a family legal issue?

No. Anywhere from 75 to 85 per cent of Australian family legal disputes are resolved out of court. Bowen Lawyers can work with you to set up a mediation with the other party, whether it is a member of your extended family, an ex-partner or your ex-spouse.

If I want to quickly resolve an issue such as future parenting arrangements for the child/ren (custody) with my ex-spouse, why do I need an lawyer?

Bowen Lawyers recommends that you hire a lawyer even if you want the process to go as amicably as possible. Having a lawyer gives you the benefit of understanding the law as it pertains to your circumstances. We advise you on the repercussions of any agreement you make or document you may sign while making negotiations with the other party more fruitful.

I am fearful for my safety because of the behaviour of an old partner. Can you help me?

Bowen Lawyers specialises in cases related to domestic violence. We have the utmost sympathy and compassion for anyone who is going through such circumstances. One of our solicitors will sit down with you, learn the background of your situation and advise you on the next step. Whether you choose to get a restraining order, press charges or take other legal action, we will be there with you every step of the way.

Why do I need a lawyer to finalise a real estate sale? Is a real estate agent not enough?

Contrary to popular belief, a real estate agent is not a legal authority on matters related to real estate. They are present to negotiate terms between both parties and get a commission when the sale goes through. If you want to ensure all aspects of your real estate deal are by the letter of the law, it is imperative that you hire a lawyer.

What is a cooling off period?

Cooling off periods pertain to real estate transactions. It is four working days where someone buying a property can cancel the deal, even if they signed all the relevant paperwork.

Can you help me ensure that my will is legally binding?

Yes. If you are planning to write out your will to leave money or property to your loved ones in the event of your death, we can help you ensure it is legally binding. Our solicitor will sit down with you, look over what you have written and make the necessary changes to ensure the document is 100 per cent legally correct.